Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Solomon Kane #1

Since junior high school I've been a big fan of Robert E. Howard, the writer who created Solomon Kane, Conan, Kull and a number of other characters.

While I haven't read every word Howard wrote, I do have a nearly complete collection of his work, thanks to the paperbacks printed in the 1970s. But even though I've read all the stories of Conan, Kull and even Breckenridge Elkins (among others), it wasn't until I started to write this review that I realized I've never read Howard's stories about the Puritan swordsman, Solomon Kane.

I've read most of the character's comic book appearances and enjoyed them - especially the stories that ran in Marvel's Savage Sword of Conan. Obviously, I'll have to correct my oversight in the near future.

In the meantime, our friends at Dark Horse continue their efforts to keep Howard's work alive, and turn in a respectable effort with this first issue. Writer Scott Allie shows a nice touch with the dialogue and the mood of the story. The comic gets off to a fast start, as thieves make the mistake of thinking Kane will make an easy target. But after that six-page action sequence, the story slows to a crawl, and devotes the rest of the pages to introductions and little else.

I do like the work by artist Mario Guevara and color artist Dave Stewart. They give the book a grim, storybook look, with strong (but not overly flashy) layouts and clear storytelling. If I had to complain about something, it would be that Kane is depicted as being too pale - he's as white as a sheet of paper. Remember, he's not Elric.

I wish I could give this a stronger recommendation - but this story may work better as a collection. This opening chapter is just a bit too glacial, but there's plenty to indicate it's all moving in the right direction.

But I'm grateful - even an average Howard story is better than most.

Grade: C+

2 comments:

Cephas said...

I think I might give it a B- . I did feel the art was very stylish, but that the color palate was too restricted and so ended up very muddy looking to me, so it was hard to see the art itself. I know it's supposed to have a feel and all, but it ended up giving me a headache. I really want to like this book though, we'll see. I loved the Kubert cover.

Pete

Chuck said...

Pete, the Kubert cover is great, but I only picked it up because they'd already sold out of the Cassady cover - in fact, I got the last issue of "Kane" at my shop. Hopefully that's a good sign...