Thursday, October 23, 2008

Secret Invasion #7 (of 8)

Is it wrong to admit that I spent more of my youth than I'd like to admit watching Pro Wrestling?

I only bring this up because in reading this, the next-to-the-last issue of Secret Invasion, I kept hearing in my mind the voice of Jim Ross screaming, "We've got a real slobberknocker going on here, folks!"

There's just no better word to describe what is simply an issue-long fight scene between almost everyone on Earth who has super-powers and an endless swarm of Skrulls who are also super-powered.

Which is not to say nothing at all happens. There's some clever examples of Brian Bendis' patented dialogue. There's some terrific art by Leinil Yu and Mark Morales, although some of the fight scenes are just a mess. Which is to say, I have no idea what's going on in some panels - the bodies are just flying around.

There are lots of dramatic moments, and I find the final scene has me actually worried for reasons that will have to wait a month (in other words, I can't talk about it without spoiling the scene for you). Jessica Jones makes a dramatic (and potentially disastrous) decision. Marvel Boy puts in an appearance. So does Howard the Duck (but don't blink or you'll miss him).

There are plenty of moments that would have the announcer screaming, "I can't believe what I'm seeing!" or "Holy $%#@*&!"

I've been a fan of the series so far, and while this issue suffers a bit from being severely over the top and over-crowded, it still maintains that sense of fun and adventure that has made the Secret Invasion a blast.

Now let's see if Bendis can get this story in a figure-four leglock and take the title. (I know, I'm stretching here.)

Grade: B+

2 comments:

Evan Minsker said...

Stylin' and profilin'. Woo!

In all seriousness though, great issue.

Chuck said...

My favorite wrestling quote is still: To be the man, you gotta beat the man!

Ah, Rick Flair, how could you retire?