Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Am Legion: The Dancing Faun #1 (of 6)

While my focus is usually on the writing end of a comic book, there are some artists I'll follow to almost any title.

Near the top of that list is John Cassaday, who's done amazing work on comics like Planetary and Astonishing X-Men.

When I noticed his name on I Am Legion: The Dancing Faun, I decided to give it a try - even though I'm not familiar with writer Fabien Nury.

The art is excellent, although it is much more restrained than Cassaday's usual work. There are no splash panels in evidence at all, and most pages feature eight or nine panels of art. Still, the art is detailed and dynamic.

The story's a bit of a tough slog, as mysterious things are happening in the 1940s. The story revolves around the investigation into a very unusual murder, where the man who died may still live on in another man's body.

The art gets top marks, but the story gets an incomplete until the readers get a better idea of what the heck is going on in this comic.

But it sure looks great!

Grade: B-

No comments: