Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Classics - Adventure Comics #409

I first started getting "serious" about collecting comic books at a young age, and my focus was almost exclusively on superhero comics, although I read the occasional war or western title.

But I rarely picked up a comic that starred a female character. That's not surprising, because the only female with her own title was Wonder Woman (Lois Lane doesn't count - she's no more super than Night Nurse). I didn't mind the Amazon Princess in the Justice League, but I didn't buy any of her comics until the Mike Sekowsky "Mod" Diana Prince era - and even then I only bought a few issues out of curiosity.

It was the same for Supergirl. She could be found in backup stories in assorted Superman comics (Action Comics, for example), and she finally graduated to the lead in Adventure Comics when the Legion of Super-Heroes faded out for a while.

I don't remember the specific issue that first lured me into buying a comic starring a girl, but I remember the artist - Bob Oksner drew beautiful, sexy women, and he drew Supergirl's adventures for a short stint during the early '70s.

This particular issue - Adventure Comics #409, with a cover date of August 1971 - stuck in my mind because of the (for the time) surprisingly skimpy, backless outfit Supergirl wore in one adventure. (Reprinted here for your enjoyment.) Granted, it's tame by today's standards. But in 1971, to my teenage brain - va va voom!

Imagine my surprise, in looking at it today, to find that the art wasn't by Oksner, but instead it's by Art Saaf and Dick Giordano (no slouches in the "drawing pretty girls" department, either).

The issue is loaded with outstanding talent, including a story about an alien invasion (which is uncredited, but is obviously drawn by the amazing Mike Sekowsky), the cover story, written by E. Nelson Bridwell, and a reprint of a Legion story that focused on the female Legionnaires. Not bad for a quarter!

It's not really a great comic - the art is excellent, but the stories are just average at best. But this is a comic that gives me a great nostalgic buzz - if just because it reminds me of the time when I figured out that girls were not so icky after all.

Grade: B-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chuck, so what did/do you think of the "Mod" Diana Prince? I've been very tempted to try those TPB's they've released...

Chuck said...

Kyle, the ones I've read are great fun, and definitely tied to the times. But then, I'm a big fan of the under-appreciated Mike Sekowsky, who drew those comics.

And what an amazing twist on the original concept! To go from the star-spangled superheroine to the non-powered adventures of (for all intents and purposes) Emma Peel was a heck of a change of direction.

I do recommend them - but they're definitely not the usual comic book.

I'll try to throw one of those issues into the "classic" review stack!

Kyle said...

Hey Chuck, Sounds great... I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks CHuck,for mentioning my dad Art Saaf.

Steve S
www.artsaaf.com

Chuck said...

Steve, you're welcome! I always enjoyed your Dad's work, and I know I'm not alone in that. That issue of Adventure Comics is tough to find, and that's mostly because of the story your Dad penciled. I look forward to checking out the website you mentioned!