Friday, May 8, 2009

The Flash Rebirth #2

While there seem to be quite a few fans who are mourning the "demotion" of Wally West, allow me to say how thrilled I am to have Barry Allen back from the comic book graveyard.

He was the Flash I grew up with, and I'm glad to have him back in his red-and-yellow uniform.

This issue finds Barry continuing to try to adjust to the modern world, and writer Geoff Johns provides a clever excuse for Barry's absence all these years (although I thought his identity was revealed to the world before he "died." Perhaps I'm misremembering).

As always, Ethan Van Sciver's art is terrific, and I like his method of visualizing super speed, as lightning crackles around the Flash. The artwork is detailed, but provides clean storytelling.

It's difficult to say much more without giving away the plot, but a mystery continues to gather around Barry as his return seems to be causing major problems for the super-speedsters of the world, including family and friends.

This series continues to build slowly (which is a bit ironic, I suppose), but I'm anxious to see where it's all going.

Grade: A-

No comments: