Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Classics - The Mighty Thor #337

With any long-running series, it's good to shake things up (well, sometimes).

That's exactly what Marvel did with this issue of The Mighty Thor (cover dated November 1983).

After years of stories that were pretty much the same old thing (in other words, mostly recycling classic Lee/Kirby stories and characters), the editors took a bold step and turned the series over to writer/artist Walt Simonson.

It was an instant sensation, and fans scrambled to catch up as this issue became an immediate collector's item.

Simonson brought a fresh storyline that placed the Thunder God in a clever science fiction setting, fighting an opponent who could go toe-to-toe with him. And what a terrific character he created in Beta Ray Bill, a horse-faced alien who manages to steal... but that would be telling (although I suppose the cover gives that bit away).

Simonson not only crafted a compelling story, he also provided the incredible art. His style has a lot in common with Kirby - it's powerful, charged with energy and amazing creativity, and tells the story in a clear, forceful manner - but he does all that without actually copying the Kirby style. His style is unique, fun and compelling.

Best of all, he carried Thor back to the top of the sales charts, and this was just the first of years worth of stories that pushed this title back into the lead.

And since Thor has always been one of my favorite characters, I was thrilled to see him getting the kind of creative treatment he deserved!

All they had to do was shake and add talent.

Grade: A

2 comments:

Kyle said...

HECK YEAH! Simonson's Thor got me back into comics... In grade school, the late 70's early 80's, I read mostly Star Wars and DC War Comics, then at some point I stopped reading them (I think it was when my Mom got steamed I spent a WHOLE DOLLAR on a huge G.I. Combat issue). It wasn't until high school when I had some disposable income and I happened by a spinner rack at a Waldenbooks in the mall and saw Thor #366 "What Do You Call a 6'6" Fighting-Mad Frog?"... I had to have it! I was instantly hooked... took me years to finally complete my Simonson Thor run... Wow, thanks for the great memories Chuck!

Chuck said...

Kyle, I agree, the "Frog of Thunder" story was one of Simonson's best - and that's saying something!