Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Classics - Tower of Shadows #1

For this week's "Classic" selection, let's roll back to September 1969 and check out the kind of comic that was plentiful at the time - but not for long.

Tower of Shadows is a good example of the horror anthologies that almost every company produced for decades.

Of course, "horror" is too strong a word for these stories, but they were (more or less) fun to read for their twist endings and unusual little morality tales.

This issue was all about Marvel taking another run at the genre, and they brought out the big guns for this issue - in fact, this may be my all-time favorite single horror issue from Marvel, if just for the lead story.

Behind the excellent John Romita cover was a Jim Steranko written and drawn tale called "At the Stroke of Midnight." The story is nothing unusual, as a scheming couple visit the home of their recently-deceased uncle, looking for his treasure, only to find... well, that would be telling.

But you could teach a college course just analyzing this 7-page gem. The script perfectly matches the story, amplifying the mood of the haunted house. And the art! Steranko pulls out the stops, turning series after series of panels into a cinematic exploration of the horrific house. The color, the detail, the raw emotions - it's just stunning, and makes this issue well worth tracking down.

The other two stories included are no slouch either, although the writing is just average. The second story is written and drawn by the great Johnny Craig (although I detect some heavy - and uncredited - Romita inks on this story). It's all about a man who debunks mystics.

The last story is by Stan Lee and John Buscema, with inks by Don Heck - and boy, was Heck underrated as an inker. The art in this is fantastic, although the story is mostly recycled from an earlier comic.

But even these pros couldn't save the anthology genre. Of course, it hasn't gone away completely - every now and then, someone tries it again - but it's such a challenge to tell a good story in so few pages, and few writers can manage it.

Even in this comic, with its "A"-list talent, only the first story is outstanding. The others have great art, but that's not enough. But I'll give this issue high marks, if just for the Steranko classic.

Grade: A-

8 comments:

Cephas said...

Who inked Steranko's story in this issue? I confess that I wrote a letter after I read this issue when it came out, complaining of the "icky, blobby" inks on Steranko's story! And they published it in issue #4!! Oh lord, I'm so embarrassed now.

Chuck said...

Well, like with most Marvel Comics at the time, the printing was poor - but I loved Steranko's gothic style on it.

Who inked it? Wait, let me look... he apparently inked it himself, because he's the only artist listed.

Don't be embarrassed by you letter - at least you had one published! I only wrote one letter, and it wasn't printed. But Stan and Jack did steal my idea. I'll have to tell that story sometime...

Kyle said...

That Steranko story was great... I read that in the back of the awesome "Captain America Special Edition" reprint. I remember the younger Kyle thinking "whoa... what the heck is this in my Captain America and Hulk comic!?!"

Chuck said...

Interesting! I wonder, did that issue also include the romance story he created at the same time? It also had stunning art, in a completely different style.

Cephas said...

I was used to Sinnott's smooth inking over Steranko's work. Ah, youth.

But hey, Chuck, I also had a letter pubbed in an early Daredevil (and got a NoPrize to boot!). And I've even been published TWICE in Amazing Spider-Man in the past couple of years! (I think they are desperate for letters.)

Chuck said...

Having a letter published was the dream of every fan! As for the recent Spider-Man comic, I think they're not only desperate for letters - they could also use some more readers! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Kyle said...

Don't remember a romance story being included... unfortunatley I no longer own that issue! I just seem to remember Cap fighting the Hulk and being attacked by Hydra in a beautiful two-page splash... Madame Hydra! wow! enough to make me want to turn to world domination... I think the horror story was just a back-up...

Chuck said...

I think I have that special Cap issue, but I doubt it included the romance story. I don't think I have a copy of the romance comic it appeared in, but I've seen it reprinted somewhere. I'll try to track it down someday.