Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Classics - Tales to Astonish #58

While I couldn't tell you where I bought most of my comic books, occasionally issues stick in my mind, usually for the oddest reasons.

Take this issue of Tales to Astonish from August 1964. This one, I remember clear as a bell - and the memory makes me think about what a different world we're living in.

All those years ago (45, to be exact) - at least in the sleepy suburb where I grew up - there was no such thing as stores being opened 24 hours a day, and almost everything was closed on Sunday.

In fact, other than bars, the only store that stayed open until 9 p.m. was the town newsstand. So late one evening, my Dad realized he was out of cigarettes, and he had to rush to get to the newsstand in time.

I volunteered to go along - in those days, there was nothing unusual about a kid buying cigarettes for a parent (though the clerk would occasionally look outside to make sure mom or dad were sitting out in the car).

Of course, I was hoping that I'd be allowed to pick up a comic book at the same time, too. Dad gave me the money for his purchase and told me I could buy a comic. I rushed into the store and the clerk pointed out the just-opened box on the floor - the latest delivery of comics!

It was the first time I could remember seeing a shipment arrive like that, and it was difficult to choose from all those bundles, but finally I settled on the latest adventure of one of my favorite characters, Giant-Man. (I must confess, I don't remember what other titles were in the box, but making that agonizing choice was all part of being a kid with limited change to spend.)

The comic, which I loved at the time, featured the battle with the mysterious Colossus, who appeared on a mountain in Africa. The battle is light-hearted, with a fun script by Stan Lee and solid art by Dick Ayers and Paul Reinman, but it's ultimately pretty silly.

It doesn't hold up well, and it's not much more than a recycled Atlas-era science fiction story - but it's a light bit o' fun.

The backup story features the Wasp taking on "D-list" bad guy The Magician, which is mostly interesting because the story is briefly referenced in the Busiek / Ross Marvels series, as a fashion line is based on the Wasp.

So while it's not the greatest comic ever, it holds fond memories for me, both for the entertainment I got from the comic, and for the times when Dad would let me tag along and enjoy the chance to feel like a big boy at the staggering age of 8.

Grade: B-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck,

This post reminds me of when I used to buy White Owl Slim n' Mild cigars for my dad at the drugstore. It had never occurred to me how kids can't do that sort of thing anymore.

I really enjoy these "Classics" entries. I was wondering if it was possible for you to list them as a separate category in your Label archives, just to make it easier to peruse these little nostalgia trips all at once.

Thank you for this entertaining blog.

Al Bigley said...

I have those same memories..But in the smal town of Laurinburg, NC, in the mid-70s.

I'd find ANY excuse to rate a trip to the convenience store then!

"Don't we need milk or something? How about a nice car trio for fun?"

And, yes, even then, stores closed early or were simply not open at all on Sundays....

Al Bigley

Chuck said...

Anon, thanks for the kind words! I've lumped all these reviews of old comics under the "Classic Comics" link on the right side of the blog. I'm glad you enjoy them - they're fun to write, as they're a good excuse to walk down memory lane.

Al, I did the same thing. To drive to my Grandparent's house (which we did at least once a week), we'd pass by two newsstands, and I'd always ask if we could stop at one or the other. Usually my parents would go along with it, but occasionally the answer was "no." That was the one (and only) good thing about them both smoking - they often had to stop for smokes or matches.