Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dark Avengers / Uncanny X-Men: Exodus #1 (One Shot)

This was an issue picked up on impulse, since I haven't picked up any of the other comics in this mini-series except for the regular issues of Uncanny X-Men.

Frankly, this looked like one of those crossover stories that were simply an attempt to make you buy a bunch of comics in order to get the whole story. Being naturally hard-headed, I decided to ditch the whole thing, except for the X-Men issues.

But when I saw that this Exodus wrap-up issue was drawn by Mike Deodato and Terry and Rachel Dodson, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did!

As expected, the art is terrific, as each artist handles his or her own team (for the most part), and though their styles are very different, they actually work together well here.

While I'm tired of the whole Dark Reign / Dark Avengers thing, I did enjoy the knock-down, drag-out fight between the Dark and the mutant forces and the cat-and-mouse game between Cyclops and Norman Osborn.

You know, it occurs to me that Marvel made its name by providing lots of action in their comics, but they seem to have moved away from that to some degree in recent years. Maybe it's just me. But I think I enjoyed this issue because it was action-packed, and thus a throwback to Marvel's days of yesteryear.

Even more surprising is the fact that the issue actually makes significant changes in the lives of the X-Men, although it may also have them boxed into a corner. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

So I enjoyed this issue and I recommend it, despite my dislike for this kind of crossover. I know, I'm fickle.

Grade: A-

No comments: