Thursday, November 12, 2009

Batman and Robin #6

There are several gay comic book heroes, and I assume there are gay villains (though I have to admit I can't think of any right away). If not, then this issue's villain may be the first.

I say "may" because he never really comes out and says, "I'm gay." But he goes by the name Flamingo, he dresses in a flamboyant pink costume, and as Robin says when they first meet, "I was expecting scary, not gay."

Whatever his orientation, Flamingo does succeed in being scary. He's brutal, efficient and seemingly unstoppable. His battle with the duos Red Hood and Scarlet and Batman and Robin has to be one of the most brutal battle scenes in Batman comic history.

Unlike other Bat villains, Flamingo never says a word - he just laughs a mirthless laugh. It makes him a chilling and mysterious opponent.

Writer Grant Morrison continues to take the story of the "new" Batman in surprising and unexpected directions, as he brings Dick Grayson face to face with his darkest fears and worst nightmares.

It's a grim story, not really suited for young readers at all.

I'm divided on the art by Philip Tan - the overall impression is that the work is solid, but there are too many pages where it's difficult (or impossible) to tell what's happening. The printing may not be helping - almost every panel with Batman in it seems muddy and dark. And I'm not really sure what was going on in the last page.

Still, even when the work is more grim and gritty than I'd like, Morrison still manages to turn in a compelling story, and that keeps this comic on the "must buy" list. Nothing wrong with that.

Grade: B+

3 comments:

scott said...

Please review the Doc Savage comic, I am on the fence on buying it and would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Chuck said...

Scott, I'll be glad to! I haven't read it yet, but it's in this week's review stack. As a longtime Doc Savage fan, I have high hopes - but we'll see.

scott said...

Thanks, love the blog, I try and visit every day!