Friday, April 2, 2010

The Amazing Spider-Man #627

There are certain writers who have shown themselves to be dependable. Every story they write may not be gold, but they have earned my trust, so I buy just about anything they write.

One of the names on that list is Roger Stern, who's responsible for some of my all-time favorite stories - most memorably on the Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America, Dr. Strange and The Avengers.

So when I heard he was returning to script a three-part story in this comic, and it was going to be a sequel (of sorts) to the classic "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut," I was ready to pick up my first issue of "Amazing" since dropping the comic with issue #600.

It didn't hurt my interest to find the art was by Lee Weeks, an outstanding penciller and inker who gives Spider-Man just the right lean but athletic look (too many artists make him a musclebound, generic superhero). The art is lively and fun - a good fit for this comic.

The story begins with an object rocketing out of the night sky and crashing into Central Park. Spidey is first to the scene, and finds an unconscious Juggernaut. Someone - or something - was powerful enough to bring down one of Marvel's biggest powerhouses. But who? That's the question that runs through the issue.

It's a fun mystery, and the story rolls along nicely, with perhaps a few sidesteps that seem unnecessary.

We'll have to see more of the story to see if this one ends up being another classic - but I have faith that Stern will deliver.

And while I'm here, why oh why doesn't Marvel have Stern chained to a computer, writing a book or two for them? Surely there's a place for a craftsman who's a true pro? I can think of a few books that would benefit from his talents...

Grade: B+

No comments: