Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Classics - Tarzan #207

It's interesting to look back and realize how tastes can change in the blink of an eye.

For example, Joe Kubert's art never really appealed to me when I was young, although my only exposure to it was in the pages of of the '60s version of Hawkman.

At DC Comics, I much preferred the "cleaner" art of Murphy Anderson, Gil Kane or Carmine Infantino. (I should add that I never read many war comics, so I sadly missed out on untold years of great Sgt. Rock stories. Thank goodness for DC Showcase reprints!)

But then I picked up this, the first DC issue of Tarzan (which continued the numbering from the previous publisher - this issued is cover dated April 1972).

The issue was edited and drawn (and presumably adapted by) Joe Kubert, and what a revelation! Here was an incredible depiction of the first Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan novel, drawn with amazing skill and power. Here was a master at work, with lush jungle vistas, raw emotions on display, vivid animal life, life-and-death battles and amazing heroic (and villainous) figures.

How could I have overlooked a talent like this? Kubert's style was perfectly suited to Tarzan's adventures, and from that day forward I avidly sought out every comic Kubert worked on.

And the issue didn't stop there - it also included a back-up story starring John Carter of Mars, as drawn perfectly by Murphy Anderson! His slick, heroic style was a perfect match for the adventures of the first man on Mars.

So my apologies to Joe for ever doubting his talent - hey, I was just a dumb kid! I'm glad to say I've learned the error of my ways.

Grade: A+

2 comments:

Billy Hogan said...

I remember reading this issue at my aunt's house. it belonged to my cousin who was in high school at the time. Brought back some nice memories!

Chuck said...

I was in high school when it came out, and already a Tarzan fan from the paperback reissues, so this issue was like a lightning bolt - a faithful adaptation with amazing art - what's not to like?