Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #1

I have to admit that I'm not too crazy about Marvel's decision to keep Bucky in the role of Captain America, while recasting the "real" Cap as Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier (or, to be more precise, Steve Rogers: Nick Fury).

Thankfully, the writing is in good hands, as Ed Brubaker spins a story that hearkens back to Steve's origin during World War II, and manages to find a believable modern-day link to his beginnings.

It's a good mix of action and story as Steve tries to unravel the mystery behind a new generation of Super-Soldiers and shows why he's one of Marvel's most formidable fighters.

I was sorry to see Dale Eaglesham leave the Fantastic Four, but he's doing excellent work here. His art includes lots of detail, strong action scenes and some good character bits.

With that said, I have to admit that it's disconcerting to see Steve using a gun (even if it just shoots tranquilizer darts), and I'm still fighting to get used to his new uniform, which looks like a cross between his original togs, Fury's classic SHIELD gear, and the Fighting American's outfit.

But I enjoyed this issue, and I'll keep following Steve for the foreseeable future.

And hopefully, in future reviews, I'll learn to type the word "Steve" instead of "Cap" (which happened at least three times while writing this review)...

Grade: A-

1 comment:

BobbyNash said...

Agreed. This was a really good issue.