Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #2

I've written before about how I like Guy Gardner (when he's done right), and I was looking forward to this new series focusing on him.

But this is going to be my last issue (for now). And there are two reasons for that.

First of all, this is just the second issue in the series and, frankly, nothing happens here. Guy thinks about what an honor it is to be in the Green Lantern Corps. He plans to go on a secretive mission. Friends decide to go along. They travel. That's about it.

The second reason I'm quitting is, I'm tired of the gore. I get it, some fans like it, that's fine - but it's not a selling point for me. From the cover featuring an alien puking blood onto Guy to a scene of two characters being burned alive to a bad guy who spits up snakes that pluck out the eyes of... well, you get the idea. A little bit of that kind of stuff goes a long way with me (which is to say, I don't get the entertainment value in it).

If you can get past all that, the artwork by Fernando Pasarin and Cam Smith is quite good - detailed, strong layouts, great heroic figures - but it's all in service of a story that doesn't really do much.

Hopefully this is just a stumble for the creative team, and better days are ahead - but this is where I hop off. Sorry.

Grade: C-

------------

No comments: