Friday, November 19, 2010

Batman, Inc. #1

Well, that was a surprise.

I had to double-check to make sure this issue was actually written by Grant Morrison.

His Batman stories for several years now have been convoluted, involved adventures that were often difficult to follow. This, the first Batman, Inc. story, is surprisingly... normal.

Let me quickly add that I'm not complaining. This issue is very much a throwback to a more straightforward Dark Knight, and that's OK by me.

It begins in gruesome fashion as the Japanese hero Mr. Unknown is brutally attacked and killed by the skeleton-garbed Lord Death Man.

That villain then turns his (or her) attention on another victim, but luckily Batman is in town to recruit (as he says it) "a Japanese Batman."

I haven't seen Batman: The Return yet (my comic shop's order didn't arrive), but it's obvious that Batman is building a world-wide network of crimefighters to help carry on his work around the globe.

He has some help on hand here as Catwoman lends her expertise to his mission.

And let me just say, not only does Yanick Paquette (with inker Michel Lacombe) turn in some terrific art here, not only are his panel layouts dynamic, not only are the action scenes spot on - he also draws an incredibly sexy Selina. (And hoo boy, what a great final page.)

This is a much more accessible Batman than we've seen in a while, and I suspect that's a good thing.

It's an outstanding (fresh) start for the Batman Family.

Grade: A

-----------------

No comments: