Saturday, January 8, 2011

John Byrne's Next Men #2

As I mentioned in this post, I was a fan of John Byrne's Next Men during the book's first incarnation, and I'm happy to see it back again.

But despite that, I feel a bit lost in this story so far - but I suspect that's the general idea.

We pick up this issue with three of the story's main characters separated and lost in time.

Federal Agent Tony Murcheson finds herself in the South during the Civil War - which is especially bad since she's African-American. Byrne pulls few punches here in his depiction of life among slaves.

Nathan, whose vision-based powers are beginning to fade, finds himself on the front lines during a battle between the Allies and the Nazis in World War II.

Jasmine, who we see only briefly, seems to have landed in Elizabethan England.

I have no idea why they've been tossed around in time, but Byrne has a great handle on time-traveling tales, so I trust all will be made clear soon (and the "Next Issue" art indicates that might be the case).

It's a solid tale with some of Byrne's best artwork on display - each time period has its own feel, and the emotions of the characters are intense and real.

So far, this series if off to a great (re-)start, and I'm anxious to see where it all goes from here. Recommended!

Grade: A-

------------------

No comments: