Sunday, May 8, 2011

More Free Comic Book Day Reviews

Our man Kyle sent in these comments about some of the comics he picked up yesterday, so I thought I'd post this on the main page for all to enjoy.

Take it away, Kyle:
Hey Chuck, another great FCBD. I picked up a load of freebies. As always I end up spending a ton as well. I hit about three different shops in order to pick up as many of the freebies as I can... I feel obligated to drop some cash to support the shops that are doing this so ended up with two Fables TPB's, Fables 1001 Nights of Snowfall HB, Showcase Presents Aquaman Vol 2, and a back issue on a whim (Weird War Tales featuring The Creature Commandos and the G.I.Robot)!

I sure hope some day they release a Showcase of these). As far as different titles from your reviews:

Baltimore was my favorite. Although Mignola did not do the interior art, he always manages to pick someone who fits the story very well. Didn't care for the flip side Criminal Macabre too much.

Young Justice Batman Brave and Bold was another mixed bag. I liked the Batman half. It was another "panel of someone saying something disparaging about Bruce Wayne followed by Batman heroically being the exact opposite" type story... but I'm a sucker for that so it worked for me :). Didn't care for the Young Justice, would have preferred a Tiny Titans, but can see why they are pushing the cartoon (which I have never seen).

Civil War Adventures was certainly interesting. I got the feeling they were trying to be an educational comic with a few text pieces around the two illustrated stories. The stories were good weird western/ weird war style stories. The text pieces were interesting, but wow, don't think I needed to know that much about battlefield amputations!

Darkwing Duck / Rescue Rangers had some really good art and good stories. The DD half was a Dark Knight Returns homage/parody and was better than the RR half.

Atomic Robo was pretty crazy. A dinosaur with guns tries to steal a students project from the science fair at which Atomic Robo was a judge. The Foster Broussard feature had some promise, but the Moon Girl was not good, I couldn't follow what was happening other than two people were fighting for some reason, possible during the day, or possibly at night, and it may or may not have been indoors...

Betty & Veronica was basically a typical Archie comic (which I do in small doses, say once a year) :)... Although it was weird seeing cell phones and YouTube videos in an Archie comic... kinda clashes with how I imagine Riverdale but it works.
Awesome recaps - thanks, Kyle!

No comments: