Thursday, February 9, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men #5

Give writer Jason Aaron credit for taking a big risk with this issue of Wolverine and the X-Men.

There are few more dramatic experiences in life for a woman than being pregnant (it's pretty dramatic for the guys, but not in the same sense), so more than one writer has used it as a plot point in a story.

But it can backfire. One of the most derided Avengers stories has Ms. Marvel mysteriously becoming pregnant and somehow gives birth to a son who grows up to be his own father (don't ask me to explain it - I've blocked it out of my memory).

So when Kitty Pryde is suddenly pregnant, my first thought was: Fanfic (which is to say, fan fiction, where writers can do the most outrageous things to characters without concern for future continuity).

But there's actually a good explanation for what Kitty is experiencing, and that story threads through an entertaining issue that includes a most unusual class field trip, great dialogue and some shocking developments.

It also features the return of one of the most disgusting and lethal opponents the X-Men have ever faced.

I love the art, but that's because I'm a big fan of Art Adams, and here we have Nick Bradshaw doing an impressive imitation of Mr. Adams. The cover is especially effective - one of the most horrific ones I've seen in a while.

I've mentioned before that the first four issues had me split down the middle, with two issues being great and two being poor. As of now, the score is: Great - 3, Poor - 2. On to the next round!

Grade: A-

-------------

No comments: