Thursday, April 25, 2013

Avengers #10

So there's good news and bad news.

The good news is, the latest version of The Avengers under writer Jonathan Hickman is as intelligent, involved and cosmic as almost any other series ever written for Marvel.

It's a thought-provoking, dark and stimulating story like no other.

The bad news is, I'm not sure how accessible this story might be to new or young readers, and I hate to think that new fans lured to this comic by last summer's outstanding movie might be scared off by this challenging material.

It's certainly a chance I'm willing to take - each issue in this 10-issue run (so far) has been outstanding, setting up a big cosmic tale that takes the team (and its new members) in strange and unexpected places - and let me tell you, there are few comics out there that venture into "unexpected" territory for a longtime reader like me.

Add to that the luscious art by Mike Deodato (including one splash page that looks for all the world like a photograph) and you have another amazing issue to enjoy.

It's rare for a creative team to go 10-for-10, but that's the score so far.

A word of advice: buy this comic.

Grade: A

--------------

1 comment:

John said...

Chuck, I haven't gotten this issue yet, but I agree with you. This series has been outstanding so far.
great review.