Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Young Avengers #7

Seven issues in and I think I like Young Avengers. Maybe.

It's hard to judge, because events tend to trundle around and sort of get resolved - but not in a straightforward way.

What I really like about the comic is the wonderful sense of humor that runs through it, both in dialogue and events. The characters are genuinely likable, have interesting abilities and their discussions are a riot.

The team is involved in brash, unusual adventures (quite a number of them in this issue, actually), and that keeps things interesting.

On the down side, I occasional wonder "what just happened?" Near the end of this issue, for example, one hero demonstrates an ability that seems to come completely out of left field - but I trust that writer Kieron Gillen will sort it out eventually.

I like the artwork by Jamie McKelvie, though I'd be curious to see his art style when combined with a veteran inker. Still, good character designs, creative layouts and a nice comic touch.

So this isn't a comic for everyone - it requires some work on the part of the reader to keep up with the twists and turns of the story. But if you're willing to put in the effort, it's a lot of fun.

Grade: B+

------------------

No comments: