Saturday, August 22, 2015

Archie #2

   I have to admit, I wasn't sure I'd like the "new" Archie.

   The company has tried to reinvent the character before, usually with limited results - eventually, the company returns to the status quo - the timeless Dan DeCarlo version (and that may well happen with this version, too).

   But so far, I'm really enjoying this new series.

   Writer Mark Waid has retained the humor but jogged the series over into the real world (well, mostly) - Archie still gets into laughable fixes, but (aside from one hilarious, over-the-top moment) they're believable mishaps.

   There's the continuing mystery of what happened to cause Archie and Betty to break up - and the introduction of another well-known member of the cast.

   The wonderful, expressive art of Fiona Staples is a perfect fit for the mix of humor and reality - each character is unique and likable.

   Will the series last, or is it a flash in the pan? As long as the quality continues, I hope this series lasts a long, long time!

Grade: A

----------------------

1 comment:

James said...

I haven't yet read the second issue but so far the reboot has left me cold. I liked Waid's story well enough but the manga like art seemed stiff and dull. But I will give the second issue a fair shot.