Friday, January 29, 2016

The Twilight Children #4

   This is one of those "I really like it even though I'm not 100 percent sure about what really happened" comics.

   The Twilight Children takes us to an island where mysterious things keep happening - mostly revolving around large, mysterious balls of light that sometimes take people away - and sometimes brings them back.

   The story (or at least the first story arc) concludes with this issue, and even if the story's a bit murky in places, it's well worth reading if just for the terrific characters created by co-wrier Gilbert Hernandez, and the stunning visuals by co-writer / artist Darwyn Cooke.

   I don't know of any artist whose style is more classic, yet fresh and original - I'll follow Cooke wherever he goes.

   I don't know if there are plans to continue this series. The four issues so far work fine as a standalone story, but there are still mysteries aplenty to leave us hoping for more!

   Highly recommended!

Grade: A

---------------------

1 comment:

Hoy Murphy said...

I finally read all four issues last night and finished feeling frustrated about how it ended. It's my understanding that "modern science fiction" involves strange things happening that are not explained to the characters or the readers, so this certainly fits in. As you say, the story is about how the characters react to the strangeness and to each other, so it succeeds at that. Like you, I hope for a sequel soon. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Hoy