Thursday, February 4, 2016

Spider-Man #1

   After buying the Amazing Spider-Man comic for most of my life, I finally gave up on the series when modern-day "adjustments" made too many changes to the character (including ending the marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane, and Dr. Octopus taking over Spidey's Mind).

   And I never really developed an interest in the "other" version of the Ultimate Spider-Man, Miles Morales. To me, Spidey is Peter Parker. Period.

   But I do like writer Brian Michael Bendis, and I like artist Sara Pichelli a lot (and her art in this issue is tremendous), and I frankly miss reading Spider-Man, so I decided to give this new series a go.

   And I'm glad I did, because it really "feels" like a classic Spider-Man story. We see Miles dealing with problems at school (including losing out on a hot date because of his super-hero duties).

   The menace he faces in this issue is a heavy hitter - and he finds that he's the last hero standing at the end of a major battle.

   It's nice to have a Spidey title that taps into the original structure of the series - the hero facing real-world problems, fighting difficult fights and proving his heroism.

   Even though it doesn't star Peter Parker, I had so much fun that I can forgive - so I'll be sticking with this one!

Grade: A

-----------------------

No comments: