Friday, February 26, 2016

Superman: The Coming of the Supermen #1 (of 6)

   I wasn't sure what to expect from Superman: The Coming of the Supermen.

   It marks the first work on the Man of Steel by artist and writer Neal Adams in quite a while (the opening panel includes art from 1978's Superman vs. Muhammad Ali book, which may have been his last complete Superman story - and is one of my all-time favorites).

   But Adams' recent Batman: Odyssey series didn't work for me - and I feared the same overwrought effort here.

   Thankfully, this seems to be a return to a more classic type of story (co-written with Tony Bedard).

   Metropolis is threatened by an invasion from Apokolips, led by the powerhouse Kalibak - but Superman is on a mission on the other side of the planet.

   Rushing to the rescue in his place are three mysterious heroes, all wearing Superman's costume - the Supermen.

   So far, I'm enjoying this series. I like Adams' take on Clark Kent - he has heart and a mischievous, unflappable attitude that harkens back to the version of the hero I always enjoyed.

   Adams' art is terrific as always, with amazing craftsmanship and heroic ideals on display.

   So this six-issue series is off to a good start, with familiar characters mixing with some new faces. And it's nice to see Superman back in a more traditional costume, too. I missed the red shorts.

Grade: A

-------------------------

1 comment:

Kevin Findley said...

Even majestic seems too mild a description for that cover. Wow.