Sunday, July 10, 2016

Superman #2

   Two issues into the series (not counting the Rebirth issue) and, I have to admit, I'm still not sure what to think about the "new" Superman.

   I think I like it.

   But I'm hesitant, perhaps because it's such a drastic change. Outside of Kid Flash (Wally West), no character (that I've seen) has been changed more than Clark Kent.

   That's because this is a different version of both Superman and Clark. This version is married to Lois Lane, they have a son, Jon, who's (I'm guessing) about 10 years old and just starting to develop his own powers.

   They live on a farm near Metropolis, and they go by the name "Smith."

   So that all takes some getting used to.

   This issue is a father-and-son outing, as Superman brings Jon along on what seems to be a standard rescue of a stranded submarine - but quickly takes a darker and more dangerous turn.

   The series is well-written by Peter J. Tomasi and I like the fresh, energetic art by Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray, and it's going to be interesting to see how they build this new life and new story for a new Man of Steel.

   But it may take a few more issues before I'm sure.

Grade: A-

-------------------

No comments: