Saturday, April 22, 2017

Nick Fury #1

   There have been many attempts since the '60s to revive Nick Fury in his own comic, but they typically don't last - perhaps because they all stand in the shadow of Jim Steranko's towering, groundbreaking work on the original version of the super-spy.

   But you have to hand it to writer James Robinson and artists Act and Hugo Petrus - they're swinging for the fence here.

   And succeeding!

   They're created a breezy, fresh, op-art look for this series that is cinematic and spectacular.

   The story has Fury infiltrating a Hydra stronghold and trying to escape intact.

   It's not a deep story, but it's fast and fun and well worth the price of admission.

   It's downright... Steranko-esque!

Grade: A

-------------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds awful (and I was hoping you would review this comic as I bought it last week), but this comic book is good, but not $4 an issue good. I have to cut somewhere!

-Anon

Chuck said...

Anon, I certainly understand - you can't buy everything (I should say " I" can't buy everything)