Monday, May 29, 2017

Miraculous #12

   I have to admit that, since my kids are long since grown and off on their own, I'm a bit out of touch with the latest cartoons on TV.

   Here's one I'd never heard of until I saw the comic published by Action Lab Entertainment - Miraculous!

   I assume that episodes of the cartoon are being adapted - photo-feature style - to make the comic, which means you get a lot more bang for your five bucks - 65 pages of story in each issue!

   The story is set in Paris, and stars two teenagers: Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste

   Marinette is the superhero Ladybug, and Adrien is Cat Noir The two oppose villain Hawk Moth, who controls akuma, which are butterflies infused with black energy (I am not making this up). That allows him to transform citizens into supervillains - including, in this issue, a deadly mime whose imaginary creations are all too real.

   Otherwise, the story is pretty standard sitcom stuff - an accident causes Marinette to go to silly extremes to try to make up for her error (instead of just admitting the mistake to her friend).

   But this is a solid intro to superheroics for new readers. The computer-created art is bright and fun and the story's all about friendship and teamwork. What's not to like?

   This isn't my kind of comic, but there's nothing wrong with that - the industry needs more of this kind of comic, specially made for young fans!

Grade: B

---------------------------

  

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Ha! I was at the Phoenix Comicon last weekend. Saw a couple girls who were dressed as Ladybug and Cat Noir. I had no idea who they were till I saw this review.